Friday, 5 February 2010
We live in a small semi-detached house about 5km from the centre of Sydney's CBD. So without banging on about what we don't have, here's a taste of what we do have.
* Fabulous coffee just steps away from my front door
* Fabulous food just steps away from my front door
* It feels like I can get anywhere in Sydney in just 15 minutes
* I can get to the airport in just 15 minutes, in fact it often feels like the planes may actually land in our garden
* If I have a craving for wild boar terrine with a French Pinot Noir, I can have it on my table in about 20 minutes - take that Dominos!
* I love that this morning while doing the grocery shopping my girls blew kisses to the Muslim checkout chick wearing a hijab, the group of Italian men gossiping in the shopping centre, our lesbian nextdoor neighbours, the Chinese boy wheeling past in a stroller. Our area is so diverse that no-one's different, we're all unique. There's someone of every nationality, ethnicity, age group, sexual orientation and we've even got a couple of Wiggles in our community.
* I love that it's an intelligent, creative and open-minded area - lots of artists, musicians, actors, academics.
* I love that even though I'm in the inner-part of a big city I can walk down my main street and know the shop keepers and lots of local residents. After living in areas of Sydney where you never waved hello to anyone, I constantly do it here.
* When the kids and I get completely stir crazy we can walk out of front door and be amongst the action in a minute. It definitely helped ease the isolation of new motherhood.
As I've said in earlier posts, I could live pretty much anyway and make a go of it, but sometimes it's nice to remember why you are where you are.
Have a great weekend folks.
Posted by Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) at 13:17