I have been asked this question many, many, many times over the past couple of weeks.
The answer is it's the same.
There have been things that have dismayed me:
- Sydney traffic and the woeful parking
- driver's who would rather run into than let you in
- the general rudeness of Sydney. (I'm looking at the guy who desperately tried to shut the doors of the lift before I got in)
- the racism and narrow-mindedness that seems more amplified
- the Australian pessimism (the sky really isn't falling)
- some relationships and expectations
There have been things that have overwhelmed me:
- people's kindness
- bottle shops (oh my, the choice)
- the prices of everyday groceries
There have been things that have warmed my heart:
- effortless friendships and shared histories
- laughing over things that have been misplaced in my memory
- being around good friends and family and realising that time apart really doesn't change those relationships that are rock solid
- seeing my kids re-ignite friendships
Most of all, being home has made me realise that I'm right where I'm meant to be at this moment in time. It's made me realise how lucky I am to be having the incredible opportunities being presented, and that in itself is a gift because sometimes when you're in the middle of them you don't realise they are opportunities or golden moments.